Apache has to start as root so it can get permission on the socket
(presumably 80).  It then does an su to the uid it runs under.  Could be
apache but you can have anything you want.  It does not need write or
execute on any of the page directories just read.  They could be owned by
you or you might just be in the same group so you can update them.

You have a LOT of options, read the docs!

Regards, and good luck

John