It is trying to use certificate to authenticate the clients and for that it
must pass that authentication information through. Not sure if you have seen
this
Proxy Web Servers for Internet-Based Client Management<javascript:void(0)>
________________________________
If the site supports Internet-based client management, and you are using a
proxy web server by using SSL termination (bridging) for incoming Internet
connections, the proxy web server has the certificate requirements listed in
the following table.
Note

If you are using a proxy web server without SSL termination (tunneling), no
additional certificates are required on the proxy web server.

Network infrastructure component

Certificate purpose

Microsoft certificate template to use

Specific information in the certificate

How the certificate is used in Configuration Manager

Proxy web server accepting client connections over the Internet

Server authentication and client authentication

  1.  Web Server
  2.  Workstation Authentication

Internet FQDN in the Subject Name field or in the Subject Alternative Name
field (if you are using Microsoft certificate templates, the Subject
Alternative Name is available with the workstation template only).
SHA-1 and SHA-2 hash algorithms are supported.

This certificate is used to authenticate the following servers to Internet
clients and to encrypt all data transferred between the client and this server
by using SSL:

  *   Internet-based management point
  *   Internet-based distribution point
  *   Internet-based software update point
The client authentication is used to bridge client connections between the
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager clients and the Internet-based site
systems.

Nagu Sittampalam | Security Team Leader , IT Solutions Division | Southampton
Strategic Services Partnership | Landline: 02380 833012 | Fax: 02380 832973 |
e-mail
nagu.sittampa...@southampton.gov.uk<mailto:nagu.sittampa...@southampton.gov.uk>
| e-mail nagu.sittampa...@capita.co.uk<mailto:nagu.sittampa...@capita.co.uk> |
post Capita ITS, 1st Floor, One Guildhall Square, Above Bar, Southampton, SO14
7FP
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be
subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may
not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify
the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.