I have to admit I'm not any good at compiling. My knowledge is limited to
3 steps;
./configure
make
make install
If I have to add or take away any extra arguments, I have to blindly
follow a doc or someone's advice because I have no clue what the arguments
are or what they do. I did leave out everything at first and the configure
ran through without any errors but the pcre wasn't part of it. I have no
idea what pcre is, only that the apache web site doc said it was required
so I don't know how I would leave that out. I have already seen so many
different docs that have me going in all different directions to get
apache installed that I now have a huge mix of just about everything that
can be installed yet I still can't get apache to install.

So I just blindly followed what you sent and here's what I get when I use
that info.

checking for APR-util... yes
checking for gcc... xlc_r -q64
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/jwaller/httpd-2.4.7':
See `config.log' for more details
lastorecomdev:/home/jwaller/httpd-2.4.7>

No matter who's advice I have followed or what doc, all I get is errors
and I don't get any closer to an actual installation of apache.
I really would love to see an actual doc for this instead of having to
pull many docs together, cross my fingers and still hope it just works.
Thanks.
John