I'm running into trouble diagnosing why httpd is exiting with code 1 and no
stdout / stderr output.

Installing onto Mac OS X 10.9.2, mostly following steps similar to
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/05/install-apache-2-on-centos-6/

The server was starting fine using a vhost over port 80, and I could verify
pages loaded properly.

After creating SSL cert and key, I uncommented the 'Include
conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf' in httpd.conf.  This ran into a module error so
uncommented the 'LoadModule socache_shmcb_module modules/mod_socache_shmcb.so'
as well.  However, now httpd simply exits with status 1 and no output, either
on standard out or standard error.

My only guess is that either something was incorrectly built or there is a
non-syntax misconfiguration somewhere (syntax checks okay) but the lack of any
kind of output is making it very difficult to troubleshoot.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

thanks,

        ~ john