>> Are you using a self-signed certificate?  I'm seeing the same thing.
>
> No, ours come from a CA.

Hm.  Well, I can duplicate this issue pretty easily with OpenSSL 0.9.8e (CentOS
5.10), but not with OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips (CentOS 6.5)

# mkdir -p /tmp/sslkeys
# openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out /tmp/sslkeys/server.crt -keyout
/tmp/sslkeys/server.key -extensions usr_cert

Add virtual host to Apache, then use the following directives:
   SSLEngine on
   SSLCertificateFile /tmp/sslkeys/server.crt
   SSLCertificateKeyFile /tmp/sslkeys/server.key

Stop, then start Apache.  It will fail to come back up and yield the same
errors.