On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 7:12 PM, James B. Byrne <byrn...@harte-lyne.ca>
wrote:

> That would not explain why removing the Directory directives in httpd.conf
> allows the very same virtual host to then respond to the exact same url
> sent
> from the same client running on the same workstation as in the first
> instance.

​Seems consistent to me. You had to make a change outside of the virtual
host to make it effective. That doesn't mean it's the problem, but strictly
by the numbers it's the most likely problem.

​> /var/log/httpd/hll_www_public_ssl_error.log:[Fri Sep 26 15:54:13.332996
2014]

​Is that  log from the virtualhost you posted, or defined globally?