Hi,

I tried both of the following methods to block an ip address, but neither
worked.  In .htaccess, I put:

Order Deny,Allow

Deny from 123.123.123.123

and

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^123.123.123.123

RewriteRule .* /maintenance.html [R=503,L]

(I do have the mod_rewrite module installed)

In both cases, I put the rules at the top of the file so that it would be
the first rules executed.

After each one, i did an apachectl stop, then apachectl start.

In both cases, when i monitored my site with the 'server-status' module,
the ip address was still there, with sometimes more than 30 requests, and
all for the same page, which was ..../login.php.  And it continued to be
there for the next 30 minutes until it just dropped off, but i was doing
nothing to stop it at that point.

This method of blocking has worked for me in the past.

Is it possible for someone (ie a hacker…) to bypass my blocking method(s)?
Or is there something more I need to do?

Thank you,

Josh