Also "allow/deny" (or the 2.4 equiv) directives only control whether
the server delivers the content, not whether the client can request
an item from the server. I.e., the indication of successful blocking
will be the response code changing from 200 to 403, but you'll still
likely see hits. If you want to block the client from hitting the
server you'd probably need to use firewall settings.

With your rewrite attempt, did you include a statement turning the
rewrite engine on?