From: Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Documentation for /etc/sysconfig/httpd file

On 06/03/2015 10:31 AM, Jens-U. Mozdzen wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Zitat von Dirk Devos <dirk.de...@usa.net>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Redhat 7.1 and apache 2.4 but I am not able to find any
>> documentation on the "/etc/sysconfig/httpd" file.
>> [...]
>> This works.
>>
>> HTTPD_ENV_NAME="devl"
>>

>> I have tried the following with no success.
>>
>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=${hostname}
>> HTTPD_HOSTNAME=$(hostname)
>
> the first an the last line should work (while I prefer the $() version)
> - what catches the eye is the change in variable names (HTTPD_ENV_NAME
> vs. HTTPD_HOSTNAME)...
>
> Regards,
> Jens

Couple of starter points
1) the apache httpd project is not responsible for the distribution
specific builds.  The /etc/sysconfig/httpd thing is a red hat-ism.
2) you should contact red hat for support on that

In general /etc/sysconfig/httpd (which at some point will be deprected
-it already is with fedora as systemd generally doesn't use
/etc/sysconfig files) are simply ./sourced into the init script
environment.  So if the particular VARNAME value is actually USED by the
distro init scripts and passed into it's httpd configuration, it will be
used.  If it's not, then it doesn't actually have any impact at all.  So
you'll want to look more closely at the init script and the httpd
configuration files to even know if what you're trying to do in
/etc/sysconfig/httpd is doable.

Andy