From: "Mohanavelu Subramanian" <mhnv...@gmail.com>
To: users@httpd.apache.org; "Sterpu Victor" <vic...@caido.ro>
Sent: 8/23/2015 10:19:13 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] SSL - How client certificates are verified?

Hi,

With the option "SSLVerifyClient require" , server mandates the client
to send its certificate for authentication. Then the server verifies
this client certificate against the CA certificate file configured in
apache. If the client certificate has been signed by a valid CA, then
the authentication is successful.

There are cases where sub CA certificate can be generated from root
certificate. So, this will end up in a hierarchy of CA certificates.
The final sub CA certificate would be used to sign client certificate.
With option "SSLVerifyDepth 10", the server will verify the client
certificate to the level of 10, meaning it will verify from 0 to up the
hierarchy 10.
Maximum depth of CA Certificates in Client Certificate verification

When the client sends its fake certificate(not signed by the CA) , the
authentication will fail at server.

Regards,
Mohan

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Sterpu Victor <vic...@caido.ro>