Please do not email me anymore

From: Kurtis Rader [mailto:kra...@skepticism.us]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 7:34 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Running Apache in Single Process Mode for Docker
Container?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 9:09 PM, David Aronchick
<aronch...@gmail.com<mailto:aronch...@gmail.com>> wrote:
I hadn't thought of the fact that apache would be architected to use its
multiple threads as an internal housekeeping (instead of just to allow
parallelization of requests).

You misunderstood me. I don't know that the extra threads you're seeing are
housekeeping threads. That is simply one plausible explanation.

My motivation behind moving the processes to be so low is that I'm trying to
explore Apache's suitability for use in a Docker container, in the "Docker way"
- minimal processes per containers, that, when the process failed for any
reason, the entire container is killed, and you spin up many containers to
accommodate that. I think this is the point where I give up, and just spend the
time porting this app to nginx.

I don't understand what the problem is. If you're starting a single-program to
do exactly one task (e.g., server individual HTTP requests serially) then what
does it matter if the program requires one, two or three threads to do the job?
What if performing the desired task required two cooperating processes? It
seems to me you're confusing a guideline (e.g., minimize the number of
processes per container) for a mandate (e.g., have only one process per
container).

--
Kurtis Rader

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only
for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged.
If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the
intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying
this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately
notify us by
replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies
immediately thereafter.

If you received this email as a commercial message and would like to opt out of
future commercial
messages, please let us know and we will remove you from our distribution list.

Thank you.~
FAFLD