FWIW, I went another way here - with apache. Rather than pegging the
container to apache running, I used Kubernetes to health check the app, and
simply catted out the log files to stdio. It's not really the "docker-way"
of one process per container, but it's working pretty well.

The idea was that, though in one container, there would be just one
process, I'd run 50 containers on the k8s cluster, and let the cluster take
care of health management etc. That would take care of the parallelization
issues.

Thank you all for the help!