 From: "Lester Caine" <les...@lsces.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2016 11:43 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages
On 12/01/16 06:01, Jim Walls wrote:
> "Upgraded" from 64 bit 2.4.12 (using VC11) to 32 bit 2.4.18 (using
> VC14). Running after the upgrade. We'll see what it does...

I have a system that has run for many years on local intranets and was
being served by windows 2k and XP machines which were essentially 32bit
set-ups. Moving to W7 the replacement machines were inevitably
configured 64bit and so the obvious action was to add 64 bit server
code, but the day in day out reliability disappeared. Did try a 32bit
stack on the 64bit windows, but are now running 32bit windows as well.
Of cause we were told that we should be using server versions of windows
for this, but these machines manage perhaps 1% active time and the only
reason not to use 'virtual' servers on some other hardware is to
maintain sub second responses when doing things like printing a ticket
or receipt. ( How many of you have experienced the 30 second delay
waiting for windows to process a network print request after hitting the
finish link on a session. Very annoying for staff and customers when
there is a queue at the reception desk! )

Where we have moved to a Linux based stack things have been even more
responsive, back to the 24/7 stability that W2k and NT4 provided and
even smaller percentages on the active working times :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL