Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the apps are driven by LAMP stack. I looked in
the /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/ folder and found shortcut files.

This one is for apache docs

Alias /manual /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/

<Directory "/usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
    AllowOverride None
    Require all granted
    AddDefaultCharset off
</Directory>

I am guessing I have to create such a file for http://somename/ whose
files are under /var/www/html/somename.

Right now I found a solution by assigning an IP to the NIC by using
ifconfig command

ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

The problem is if the connecting is intermittent, when the connection is
live, the eth0 is assigned a static IP. When the connection dies, the IP
is nullified.

Ideally I would like to know how to make Apache point to the same
address, 127.0.0.1,  using a localhost alias, even when the NIC does not
have an IP.

Thanks.

Regards, Raja.