Daniel,

On 4/12/16 3:16 AM, Poggenpohl, Daniel wrote:
> can you point me to possible scenarios where mod_ldap would be
> necessary?

If you want to use any of these directives in your httpd
configuration, then mod_ldap will be necessary:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_ldap.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html

Basically, if you want to use httpd for authentication over LDAP.

> The docs say "websites relying on backend connections to LDAP
> servers." I can't quite grasp it. Would it only be useful if I
> don't use any LDAP libraries in my website code?

I think that is more negatives than you had intended to use in there.

The only time you need LDAP-related modules in httpd if if you want to
use LDAP-related directives. If you use LDAP through PHP, it's
completely irrelevant: PHP contains its own LDAP support.

So if you only need LDAP support within PHP itself, you can ignore all
the LDAP-related modules for httpd.

> Do you know of example websites using this?

Using what?

> Oh, and did I understand it right that authnz-ldap is for basic
> HTTP authentication using an LDAP server?

The answer to that question is insanely easy to find:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html

- -chris