Hi,

I think that you'd just need to install httpd without any reference to
mod_qos (that is a third party module, so configure is not aware of it) and
finally use apxs to compile/install the new module (more info in
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/apxs.html).

I'd also suggest to test it with httpd 2.4.25 rather than 2.2.27 :)

Hope that helps!

Luca