Hi Eric:

Sorry for the delay, I'm not ignoring you;  Fedora 25 comes without strace.

autrace seems to be the replacement but I have been unable to get it to run
properly so far.  What happens is the start up thread runs and then
immediately terminates without letting me run an http request.  So, lots of
data but no information.

Here's how (one of the ways, anyway) I have been calling autrace, just in
case you are familiar with it:

autrace /usr/php-7.1.3/sbin/php-fpm php-fpm "-c /usr/php-7.1.3/lib/php.ini
-y /usr/php-7.1.3/etc/php-fpm.conf --daemonize --pid /var/run"

If I can figure out how to do it, I'll add some print statements around the
place where the error is being printed in php-fpm, and recompile, and see
what the various variables are at that point.  I know where this is in php-
fpm but I don't yet know the variable names.  I have some stuff that I have
to do tomorrow so may be Tuesday before I can get a definitive answer.

Also, it occurred to me that maybe I could trap what mod_proxy_fcgi is
actually passing to php-fpm and then feed variations of that into php-fpm
until I get a useful result.  Do you think that might be useful?

Sorry, and thanks for your prompt responses.

John