> On 15 May 2017, at 11:13 AM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Felipe Gasper <fel...@felipegasper.com>
> wrote:
>>        I’m noticing that mod_proxy sends its entire payload upstream without
>> checking for an early response (e.g., 308 or 404). If upstream sends such a
>> response then closes the connection, mod_proxy never sees it and reports a
>> 502 back.
>>
>>        Browsers don’t behave this way; they see the response and forward it
>> as expected. Is this a bug in mod_proxy?
>
> It sounds like a behavior that could be improved.  The backend could
> also consume the body before sending the response or tearing down the
> connection.

Yeah, that may be our workaround for now, but when the client sends a large
upload (e.g., attachments in webmail apps) it seems wasteful to make them wait
for an upload whose result can be known right away.

Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all seem to handle this gracefully. Edge/IE is
inconsistent: on the first submission it errors (“This page can’t be
displayed”), but a reload of the POST shows a 404 as expected.

-FG