On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 10:55 +0200, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

>  So my question now is - was the removal of expat from apr-util
> intentional? I see no mentioning in the release notes.

The perils of bundling!  It is indeed clear in the release notes
for the APR 1.6 twins, where it even mentions that you might need a
libexpat-devel package.  But I guess you meant HTTPD release notes,
which should at least point you to APR release notes!

APR-UTIL 1.6 brings some other changes to dependencies, as it
builds with more up-to-date versions of MySQL and OpenSSL,
and supports Apple's crypto lib.  It's unlikely you need to know
any of that building httpd, but it's still a release note.

Unbundling expat from APR rids us of this kind of issue, and
perhaps more importantly the troubling issue of expat security
issues living on in APR after they are fixed in expat.

--
Nick Kew