What you are describing sounds like a reverse proxy to me. Are you using
ProxyPass and did you try the same configuration with the ws or wss
protocol (in place of http/https)?

Can you post a snippet of your current configuration?

- Y

Sent from a device with a very small keyboard and hyperactive autocorrect.