On 07/18/2017 12:24 PM, Ray Navarette wrote:
I can reproduce similar behavior using the websocket echo test (http://www.websocket.org/echo.html). When this site is accessed through the proxy server, unsecured (again, initiated as http) websocket connections fail. Interestingly, this demo also supports secured websocket connection and when selecting this option, the
demo works fine.  Seems that the https traffic is forwarded in a way
that the websockets still work successfully.

Assuming this is really a forward proxy use case (and based on your
description, I'm still a little confused):

HTTP upgrade is hop-by-hop. To get a WebSocket connection through a
(forward) proxy for a ws:// URL, you need to CONNECT through the proxy
to set up an end-to-end connection. How you configure this is probably
client-specific.

wss:// URLs "just work" because the TLS connection is end-to-end.
This is one of the reasons that the use of wss:// is encouraged over ws://.

--Jacob