You didn't specify system, so I assume it's a standard Linux installation. CGI scripts by default run with permissions of the web server, which are intentionally limited. However, you can create new files and directories in /tmp, possibly using tempfile module. If you want more than just a temporary file then you should consider using database since writing arbitrary files from CGI scripts would otherwise cause concurrency and security problems.

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili