From getting zero replies I think this isn't possible with Apache. Where can I request that feature to be considered for adding? It can increase the availability of websites. Doesn't that sound interesting? What solutions do you have for this issue? Or am I just thinking too small and everybody uses data centers with tons of servers and load balancers today?

Yves

Von: Yves Goergen
Gesendet: Sa, 2018-02-03 16:08 +0100

Hello,

I've configured Apache as a reverse proxy for my application server.
When the backend server isn't available, Apache quickly responds the
browser with an error 503.

There are short downtimes while I'm upgrading the application server.
But Apache doesn't even care to retry and make the connection request
succeed maybe a few seconds later. It always raises error 503.

Can I configure Apache to try a little harder, and if the backend isn't
responding, wait a second and try again a couple times? That would make
connections much more reliable and the client wouldn't have to deal with
connection retrying so often.

There's a "retry" option for the ProxyPass command but it has a
different meaning. It just tells Apache to not retry until the number of
seconds has elapsed. It might as well be named "dontretrybefore". I'm
looking for an option that could be named "retryconnect".

Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software