I see the discussion has gone a certain way..

But just in case it wasn't mentioned: there is a specific parameter
"retry" for mod_proxy for cases like this. It is normal to wait a
little when a backend is marked as "bad" to let it recover but that us
customizable.

By default the retry parameter is 60 seconds, but you can adjust it to
your needs.

> Seems like there's a bit of outdated and limited knowledge about platform
> capabilities in the topic as well. So without some good education this will
> never be solved. Maybe the next generation of developers will fix that.
> Those who didn't grow up on the command line because there was nothing else
> and who value other interfaces, too.
>
> Yves

Daniel Ferradal
HTTPD Docs. I translate to Spanish.