I have just installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 on a server including Apache 2.4.33 and php 7.2.5.

If I attempt to access .php files, I'm offered them as downloads, although renaming them to .php3 makes them work fine. I have this file amongst my apache config

conf.d/php7.conf

<IfModule mod_php7.c>
       <FilesMatch "\.ph(p[345]?|tml)$">
           SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
       </FilesMatch>
       <FilesMatch "\.php[345]?s$">
           SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-source
       </FilesMatch>
        DirectoryIndex index.php4
        DirectoryIndex index.php5
        DirectoryIndex index.php
</IfModule>

I tried adding an extra FilesMatch clause, matching precisely .php, just in case something has become broken with regular expression matching, but that didn't help.

Please can someone suggest a way to track down the problem?

I see nothing relevant in the logs.