On 10/06/2018 18:53, Michael A. Peters wrote:
On 06/10/2018 06:04 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
I have just installed openSUSE Leap 15.0 on a server including Apache
2.4.33 and php 7.2.5.

If I attempt to access .php files, I'm offered them as downloads,
although renaming them to .php3 makes them work fine. I have this file
amongst my apache config

conf.d/php7.conf

<IfModule mod_php7.c>
       <FilesMatch "\.ph(p[345]?|tml)$">
           SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
       </FilesMatch>
       <FilesMatch "\.php[345]?s$">
           SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-source
       </FilesMatch>
        DirectoryIndex index.php4
        DirectoryIndex index.php5
        DirectoryIndex index.php
</IfModule>

Just change it to

<IfModule  mod_php7.c>
   <FilesMatch \.php$>
      SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
   </FilesMatch>
   <FilesMatch \.phps$>
      SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-source
   </FilesMatch>
   DirectoryIndex index.php
</IfModule>

If you really need .php3 .php4 .php5 add them as separate FilesMatch directives.

Lot of stuff in php3/4 is deprecated on php7 so scripts written for php that ancient are not likely to work unless they are very simple, and I don't recall .php5 ever being an extension ever officially being promoted.

.php3 was because some servers had both php3 and php4 but I don't even recall .php4 being an officially endorsed extension, let alone .php5.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still doesn't work: .php files are still offered for download rather than being executed. Now that I've made the change you suggested, .php3 files don't work either unsurprisingly. There has to be something else in my configuration that specifically stops .php files being executed but doesn't stop .php3. I have no idea where to look.

Cheers,
        Paul.