We are using 2.4. However we were not using "Event MPM" and were on a
different, much less robust, system than the other load balancers we tested.

We moved Apache to system equivalent to test environment of other load
balancers we tested, implemented "Event MPM" set MaxRequestWorkers to a high
number and Apache performed as well as any of the other load balancers.

Summary ...

nGinx is ok, but our understanding is you have to buy nGinx+ to get persistent
connection capability

Lighthttpd was ok but we had some trouble finding documentation on some things
and we read the developer may have slowed down on development

HAProxy looks pretty good, we still had to dig a bit to get information and it
looked to us that we would have to do some log file conversion in order to use
with something that needs to parse logs

Apache performed as well as any of the others, differentiating less than +/-
100 ms or less in performance with repeated tests compared to the best
performing of other options, we already have some familiarity with Apache as a
web server, there is a lot of documentation/examples/mailinglists/etc.
available, it seems to be able to do anything we might want to do from a load
balancer perspective

I would rate Apache,HAProxy as 1st and 2nd, then the other two.

Questions ....

When calculating "MaxRequestWorkers" is it better to have "ServerLimit" or
"ThreadPerChild" as the larger multiplier?

What happens to http requests thru the Apache load balancer if the backend
hosts get maxed out on current TCP connections and there are still requests
coming into the load balancer?

Thanks