Thanks for the quick and helpful response,
Kind regards,
rexkogitans

Gesendet: Montag, 11. März 2019 um 11:25 Uhr
Von: "Stefan Eissing" <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
An: users@httpd.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [users@httpd] H2Upgrade treated globally instead of locally

> Am 10.03.2019 um 10:51 schrieb rexkogit...@gmx.at:
>
> Hello,
>

> I already posted this at Stack Exchange here:
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/957276/why-is-a-directive-within-a-virtual-host-considered-global
>

> For sake of persistence, I quote the essential of the question here.
>
> The documentation of the H2Upgrade directive in the httpd documentation about HTTP/2 says that
>
> This should be used inside a <VirtualHost> section to enable Upgrades to HTTP/2 for that virtual host.
>
> I have two virtual hosts, both listening on plain HTTP only. This is my httpd config:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> Protocols h2c http/1.1 http/1.0
> H2Upgrade on
> DocumentRoot /var/www/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> Protocols h2c http/1.1 http/1.0
> H2Upgrade off
> ServerName test.mydomain.loc
> DocumentRoot /var/www/apps
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Tests with curl show that with varying the host name, the correct virtual host is chosen (it is easy to tell them apart, as they have different document root directories).
>
> curl --http2 -vLo- 'http://test.mydomain.loc/test.html'
>
> However, only the directive H2Upgrade in the first (default) virtual host is used for both virtual hosts. In the second virutal host, the directive is completely useless.
>

> This is a Debian Linux 9.8 with httpd 2.4.25, so it is not the newest version. Since I do not have time to compile httpd on my own, I want to ask if:

Time. Who has it?

> * This issue is known and may be already fixed in a newer version?

There is a test for this in the mod-h2 testsuite and it works on 2.4.38, the current version. I do not recollect when this was fixed.

> * Or if this issue is not known, and it is a new bug I found?
>
> * Or if this is not a bug, but then there is something I really do not understand. Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong.

It seems to have been a bug. Your understanding is correct.

Btw. in the upcoming version, H2Upgrade can also be specified in directories and locations.

-Stefan