From: Nigel B. Peck [mailto:nigelbp...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:10 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache process crashes, utilizing high memory

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 12:02 am, Arnav Garg
<arnav.g...@india.nec.com<mailto:arnav.g...@india.nec.com>> wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Can you please help me in clarifying some of my doubts?

1.       What is the significance of setting MaxConnectionsPerChild to a value
between 1-100 ?

2.       What are the possible reasons for not setting MaxConnectionsPerChild
to a high value, greater than 100 ?
It specifies the number of connections that a child process will serve before
being closed and a new one spawned. Having it as 0 means there’s no limit so
they just keep running.

I’m suggesting 100 because it seems you have a memory leak, so looking to make
sure they are restarted before that takes up too much memory. The cost is the
overhead of spawning a new process every X number of connections.

If you set it higher then your memory leak will have more effect.

Best thing is to set it and then monitor and load test the server to get data
to guide decisions on what works for your situation. And identify and fix the
memory leak :)

Hope that helps.

Nigel

Web Technologies and Linux Admin Mentor
https://codementor.io/nigelbpeck

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. It shall not attach any liability on the
originator or NECTI or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of NECTI or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this
message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it
and notify the sender immediately.