Hi,

I have a following Apache virtual host configuration where custom
call_Google_MP_API script receives the IP address and HTTP User-Agent
string as standard input if https://www.example.com/doc.pdf is
downloaded:

<IfModule ssl_module>
    <VirtualHost *:443>
        /* configuration removed for brevity */
        SetEnvIf Request_URI "^/doc\.pdf$" pdfdoc
        LogFormat "%h %{User-agent}i" ga
        CustomLog "|/usr/local/bin/call_Google_MP_API" ga env=pdfdoc
    </VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

As my web server had setenvif_module and log_config_module already
loaded, then I used SetEnvIf directive to set the "pdfdoc" internal
variable when doc.pdf is downloaded, LogFormat directive to set the
nickname "ga" for specific log format and finally CustomLog directive
to pipe this custom log format to call_Google_MP_API script if
"pdfdoc" variable is set, i.e https://www.example.com/doc.pdf URL is
accessed.

While this seems to work fine, then is this the correct/optimal way to
accomplish this?

I'm using Apache version 2.4.38 on Debian 10.

thanks,
Martin