Hi!

This is something that I keep thinking about when I configure my various vhosts, and would like feedback on, along with a pointer to where I could request the change if it is actually sane.

Currently, <Directory> directives require an absolute path. I would like to be able to use paths relative to the DocumentRoot by omitting the initial / in the path supplied in standard UNIX fashion (basically treating the DocumentRoot as the working directory). If the <Directory> is specified in a context without a set DocumentRoot, it would be considered an error.

To me this would solve a long-standing issue with feeling compelled by my own laziness to use <Location> directives when I want to customize handling of directories inside the DocumentRoot. This is counter to the recommendations in the documentation but prepending the DocumentRoot path everywhere is both cumbersome and error-prone, so I usually go for the "bad" approach.

Adding support for relative <Directory> directives could also make certain configurations more portable by only needing to change the DocumentRoot when cloning a vhost to a new directory, instead of having to update all instances of <Directory> as well.

I haven't been able to find any explicit rationale for the way the directive works right now, so I don't know if I'm missing anything fundamental that would make this unworkable. I would be thankful for any feedback pointing me to such a rationale if it exists.

Regards
Erik Thuning