Hello,

I'm setting up a new server with Apache HTTPd on Ubuntu 20.04. I think I have configured everything as usual but it just won't compress static HTML pages. I does compress the directory index and PHP content (that doesn't do anything else than a simple text output). All these pages have the type text/html.

This is the .htaccess file of the directory:
---
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain
---
I could add more types or text/html alone, and the usual IfModule section, it doesn't help.

Firefox shows whether a page was compressed by the Content-Encoding header in the F12 tools. It doesn't matter whether the connection is secure (HTTPS) or not. The host is my local development hostname, not localhost. The request comes from a local LAN address.

The deflate module is enabled. The only relevant part of the Apache server config is this: (everything else is IP addresses, directories, log files and SSL certificates)
---
<Directory "/var/www">
    Options Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo Indexes Limit
</Directory>
---

What can I do to find the problem? There's no output in the error log file.

Version:
Server version: Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   2020-08-12T19:46:17

-Yves