I am having a more or less default setup where I proxy a website with something
like this

ProxyPass        "https://${proxyhost}/en_gb";
ProxyPassReverse "https://${proxyhost}/en_gb";

ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain "${proxyhost}" "${defaulthost}"

ProxyHTMLURLMap ...
ProxyHTMLURLMap ..

Everything on the default host seems to work quite well and you can navigate
all pages that are proxied.

The issue that I have is that the proxied website at some point does an api
request to an external host, sending it's hostname. I want it to send the
hostname of the defaulthost, not the proxyhost.

What would a best practice of 'informing' the proxyhost about that it is being
proxied and it should send the defaulthost hostname?

Should I for instance set headers, and in the proxied website should I check on
such headers? (Btw this is php). Or are there other things available like
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR