Thanks for responding.

I went to the ipv6 irc channel and got nothing but rudeness! You don't dare ask a question there that is below expert level or you get your head knocked off. That's too bad.

I am aware of a full ip address, just figured I would spare you the full address since it is not pertenant to the question.

I keep reading that with 6to4 addresses, they are supposed to start with 2002: prefixes so that autoconfiguration can take place with the clients.

The /48 was given to me by the provider. I am aware of the addresses construction, just can't figure out how to get the clients to connect through the router.

Thanks
Mike

Ed Kapitein wrote:

Hi Mike,

Did your ipv6 provider gave you a /48 block, or did you just allocate one
yourself?
The /48 should have more numbers than just 2001::

A complete writedown of a /48 block should look like this:
2001:1234:5678:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000

Or in the short notation:
2001:1234:5678::

It is also needed to start ip6 forwarding on your linux box before you can
use it as a router.

If you are fammiliar with irc chat, you can join #ipv6 to get some more
help if needed.

Below is a "graph" of how ipv6 address are subnetted, perhaps this will help.

Kind regards,
@

xxxx=16 xxxx:xxxx=32 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=48 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=64 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=80 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=96 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=112 xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx=128

2001:1234:5678:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:/48

Hello.

New to ipv6, have read a lot, still confused...

I run a linux router acting as an ipv6 gateway, which connects to
Hurricane Electric tunnel. I can browse web pages and ping things
using

ipv6 addresses just fine from this box.

I also run two clients, winxp and linux box, both configured with ipv6
support.

I allocated a /48 block which I have advertising to my interneal lan(via eith1) using radvd. I have configured radvd with the /48 block. Using radvdump, it appears to be advertising ok.

My tunnel address is a 2001:/128  and the /48 is a 2001:/48(something).

Should the /48 block actually be a 2002: block to be a compatible 6to4
address?  If so, why would Hurricane Electric give me a 2001: prefix
unstead of a 2002?

This is so confusing.

Thanks
Mike