James sent me directly his Maven output.
What I find interesting is that there is a check for existence of the table
that says "no such table" and then immediately fails:

15:14:23,706  [Schema               Thread-3   DEBUG]  Check of existence
of isissettings."UserSetting" returned no table
15:14:23,706  [Schema               Thread-3   DEBUG]  Creating table
isissettings."UserSetting"
15:14:23,706  [Schema               Thread-3   DEBUG]  CREATE TABLE
isissettings."UserSetting"
(
    "key" NVARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,
    "user" NVARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
    "description" NVARCHAR(254) NULL,
    "type" NVARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
    "valueRaw" NVARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT "UserSetting_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("key","user")
)
15:14:23,707  [Datastore            Thread-3   ERROR]  Error thrown
executing CREATE TABLE isissettings."UserSetting"
(
    "key" NVARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,
    "user" NVARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
    "description" NVARCHAR(254) NULL,
    "type" NVARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
    "valueRaw" NVARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT "UserSetting_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("key","user")
) : object name already exists: UserSetting in statement [CREATE TABLE
isissettings."UserSetting"
(
    "key" NVARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,
    "user" NVARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
    "description" NVARCHAR(254) NULL,
    "type" NVARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
    "valueRaw" NVARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT "UserSetting_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("key","user")
)]
java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: object name already exists: UserSetting
in statement [CREATE TABLE isissettings."UserSetting"
(
    "key" NVARCHAR(128) NOT NULL,
    "user" NVARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
    "description" NVARCHAR(254) NULL,
    "type" NVARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
    "valueRaw" NVARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT "UserSetting_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("key","user")
)]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.datasource.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:246)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.datasource.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:246)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.AbstractTable.executeDdlStatement(AbstractTable.java:864)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.AbstractTable.executeDdlStatementList(AbstractTable.java:815)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.AbstractTable.create(AbstractTable.java:531)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.AbstractTable.exists(AbstractTable.java:594)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSStoreManager$ClassAdder.performTablesValidation(RDBMSStoreManager.java:3355)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSStoreManager$ClassAdder.run(RDBMSStoreManager.java:2871)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.AbstractSchemaTransaction.execute(AbstractSchemaTransaction.java:119)
at
org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSStoreManager.createSchemaForClasses(RDBMSStoreManager.java:3838)
at
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusApplicationComponents.createSchema(DataNucleusApplicationComponents.java:142)
at
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusApplicationComponents.initialize(DataNucleusApplicationComponents.java:121)
at
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusApplicationComponents.<init>(DataNucleusApplicationComponents.java:106)
at
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusPersistenceMechanismInstaller.createDataNucleusApplicationComponentsIfRequired(DataNucleusPersistenceMechanismInstaller.java:119)
at
org.apache.isis.objectstore.jdo.datanucleus.DataNucleusPersistenceMechanismInstaller.createObjectStore(DataNucleusPersistenceMechanismInstaller.java:97)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.persistence.PersistenceSessionFactory.createPersistenceSession(PersistenceSessionFactory.java:94)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.session.IsisSessionFactoryDefault.openSession(IsisSessionFactoryDefault.java:217)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.context.IsisContextStatic.openSessionInstance(IsisContextStatic.java:70)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.context.IsisContext.openSession(IsisContext.java:275)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.IsisSystemFixturesHookAbstract.shutdownServices(IsisSystemFixturesHookAbstract.java:230)
at
org.apache.isis.core.runtime.system.IsisSystemFixturesHookAbstract.shutdown(IsisSystemFixturesHookAbstract.java:219)
at
org.apache.isis.core.integtestsupport.IsisSystemForTest.shutdown(IsisSystemForTest.java:429)
at
org.apache.isis.core.integtestsupport.IsisSystemForTest.access$100(IsisSystemForTest.java:67)
at
org.apache.isis.core.integtestsupport.IsisSystemForTest$Builder$1.run(IsisSystemForTest.java:265)
Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: object name already exists: UserSetting
at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.SchemaObjectSet.checkAdd(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.checkSchemaObjectNotExists(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.setOrCheckObjectName(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.getResult(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.execute(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.Session.executeCompiledStatement(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.Session.executeDirectStatement(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.Session.execute(Unknown Source)
... 26 more

I've recommended him to open an issue at isis-todo-app with instructions.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov