On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 19:16, Rade, Joerg / Kuehne + Nagel / HAM GI-DP <
joerg.r...@kuehne-nagel.com> wrote:

Among the raised topics were:

> Q1:
> Hexagonal architecture is supposed to further separations of concerns.
> Arn't annotations in the code (dealing with presentation and persistence)
> a violation of this principle?
>
> A1:
> Cardinality, layout, etc. need to be specified somewhere.
> In java files is convenient. Fewer places to edit.
> (I'll use a different slide the next time ;-)

It's a question of where does the metadata to binding the various layers
reside?

With JPA/JDO, it's also possible to use XML metadata, so that eradicates
those.  With the Isis presentation annotations, the facet model is
pluggable, so these could also be rewritten in XML if you wanted (though
no-one ever does in practice).

"Separation of concerns"  is really about ensuring that stuff lives
together that changes at the same time.  If the UI layer has to be updated
whenever the underlying domain layer changes, then really there's not much
separation.  Of course, the UI layer might also be redeveloped without
changing the underlying domain model, but that's the role of the framework
itself, not the application code (eg when we reworked to use Bootstrap in
1.8.0, that didn't impact anyone's code).

There are two more important separation of concerns.  One is application vs
domain layer.  I realised embarrassingly recently that actually the
end-users's view of the applicatoin is the application layer, not the
domain layer.  Of course, in many cases there is no need to explicitly
separate these layers - the behaviour required of an end user can be
implemented on the domain layer (entities) directly.  But where a
translation is required, typically for things such as bulk operatoins (eg
an invoice run) then the framework supports view models that can delegate
down to underlying domain layer.

The second separation of concerns is across modules.  Here the framework's
support for mixins and intra-process domain events allow decoupling of
these interactions, but within the context of a single system transaction
so there is no need for all those tedious compensating actions that one
otherwise has to wrestle with.

> Q2 (rather a suggestion):
> Regarding configuration files (shiro.ini): Is it possible to use something
> like XML that allows for autocompletion while editing in an IDE?
>
> A2:
> Good idea, would ease tasks for people not familiar with the syntax.
> OTOH: syntax is not too complicated and editing is not done often.

Yeah, that's a tiny detail.

> Q3:
> Are html IDs in generated ui code fix? Can tools for UI test automation
> assume the ID's are fix?
>
> A3:
> Don't know. Such UI tests should be part of the FW. Better focus on
> testing Domain Objects.

They are.  As you say, UI tests aren't needed though, better is integration
tests.

That said, I have thought that the framework could also code generate page
objects to allow folks to write selenium tests if they so wished.

> Q4:
> How to implement a custom UI?
>
> A4:
> Custom Wicket Widgets are possible.I suggested to use the RESTful
> Interface.

Yup.

Also, eventually these two will converge.  Seb Slutzky is steadily working
on a Restful Angular app [1] that is generic but will eventually, I hope,
provide a more graceful path to being customised, leveraging such things as
polymer/web components.

[1] https://github.com/sebastianslutzky/AngularViewerCLI

Q5:
> Isn't the name unfortunate?