You're right Andy. I must have missed your response or forgot to reply.

When I wrote Jena 3 I probably meant Jena 3.x, not Jena 3.0.0.

RDFConnection looks similar to SPARQLClient, but does not give the
user to retrieve the HTTP information (such as headers), which was the
main reason I switched to JAX-RS. One level of abstraction is missing
if Model is returned instead ClientResponse. To make the HTTP details
available, the API has to accept the fact that local and remote access
is different.

The nice thing about JAX-RS API is that you put Jena's interfaces into
generics, fill out the implementations and the rest is taken care of,
both on the server and the client side. I'm using Jersey but there are
also Apache implementations:
https://wink.apache.org/
https://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs.html

Martynas