We are currently refreshing that very documentation, but in the meantime I will
help you directly. You _can_ use HTTP authN with SERVICE, it's just a question
of how. The most important question is, what version of Jena are you using?
(The reason those links don't work is exactly because we changed this part of
the code with the recent release of 3.1.1.)

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library