If you are using TDB, and since Fuseki 2.4.0, for in memory, graph is treated just as a column like subject or predicate or object. It does not make much difference; some more indexing (and even then if necessary you can tune it).

Default union graph works and does not care much either.

You are right the UI is skewed to small number of graphs, but that is a UI and admin issue.

The raw storage and query does not really see much difference. Default union graph works and does not care much either.

    Andy