Andy,
A big thanks for this - it gives me some paths to explore. I think indeed
my biggest problems are in the optional parts - I'll run the test you
advised and also look in which case I may be able to get rid of the
optionals to avoid those situations that could lead to a big amount of
results as you mentioned. I'm already looking at getting my filters closer
to definition - can this be done for things other than pure equality (for
example for the date that are testing for a range?).

Maybe one question about optional - I use them in some cases to avoid empty
results. An example is Access - some paper have an Access triple (Open or
Closed) - but some have none. My understanding is that if I make a link
without optional like:

?paper iospress:accessibility ?access

this will de facto remove all papers without access from the set. This is
something I don't want (I want them in the list, just with an empty value
there) - and my understanding is that the way to manage this is an
Optional. Is this correct? Is there a "better" way? If this ends up being
costly, I could also check to actually have a value for those (those
without value are technically "Closed").

Something I was wondering also is whether it makes sense to split the
fields I need for search/filtering vs the ones I want to see on the result.
I've a feeling that in theory I could play with two queries - one with only
the params I need for the filtering, then play something similar to
DESCRIBE on each record on the filtered set - but I've no idea if this
would be more performant than keeping it together as it is now.

Anyway, the exchanges here are much appreciated!

--
*Martin Van Aken - **Freelance Enthusiast Developer*

Mobile : +32 486 899 652

Follow me on Twitter : @martinvanaken <http://twitter.com/martinvanaken>
Call me on Skype : vanakenm
Hang out with me : mar...@joyouscoding.com