The dependency exists whether it is explicit or not, because the ecosystem
of packages that validate JSON documents revolves around JSON Schema, and
is not as mature for JSON-LD, at least in my limited experience.  I mostly
lurk here because I maintain https://id.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/, which is MeSH in
RDF.  Because it is just a representation in RDF, it is not truly Linked
Data.  I keep wanting them to extend it to MEDLINE or link more
thoroughly to PubChem in RDF, but I am the implementer/maintainer.  So, it
is on life support.

However, when we worked with the Cedar/BioPortal team it was very clear
that I would need to use JSON schema packages for Java to validate that a
JSON document matches JSON-LD.  It wasn't only for me a format for output -
I needed to be able to validate that my instance was a valid instance
before submitting it to Cedar in code, because only the Cedar GUI did so.

So, aside from specmanship, I guess my question is how to validate that a
JSON documented matches JSON-LD for a particular ontology.