here is a brief about setting up Kafka in eclipse- 3.6.2. with scala IDE
installed as a plugin. Scala version used is 2.9

1) follow instructions as described here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/KAFKA/developer-setup.html, upto step 2.
2) redirect the output of ./sbt update to some file and grep the file for
all the jars that are required. in the build process.
3) Copy the jars that are mentioned as part of the build process in some
folder.
4) then follow steps 3-6 from the link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/KAFKA/developer-setup.html
5) Put the jars from step 3 in the build path of eclipse for the kafka
project, but not including the lower versions of the jars.As mentioned
earlier there are some 102 jars. one more important thing to do is not to
place zkClient-0.1.jar in the build path but rather choose the zkclient jar
that is present in the lib folder.
6) Instead of putting the scala.jar in the build path choose the scala jar
that comes bundled with eclipse as scala plugin and add that as scala
library.
7) Once the above setups are done, there won't be any further build errors.
and the unit tests can be run to get started.

thanks,
MIS