If you can pause your Producers, simply change the partition count to
10 in the Kafka server properties file, and restart it. If you use the
high-level consumer, it will automatically start draining all
partitions that exist for a given topic.

And our Kafka producers always write to partition -1 for a given
topic, meaning they never care about the partition count, and need no
changes in circumstances like this.

Philip