When we were in testing phase, we would either create a new topic with the
correct details or shut the cluster down and hard kill the topic in zookeeper +
local disk.  In prod we have the cluster configured via configuration
management and auto create turned off.

The ability to delete a topic in a live, running kafka cluster is tricky, and
the implementations of it have been subtly incorrect (and therefore dangerous).
I know that there is work happening around that, but haven't kept up with the
status of it.  Maybe in 8.2? It sounds conceptually simpler to implement with
the new metadata API.

-Mark