wrt to KAFKA-1180 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1180>, I've
uploaded a new version of the patch to the issue, refactored so that it can
be applied and seems to work with 0.8.1.1 (and presumably trunk).

It would be great if we could get this committed to trunk in some form, so
that it will get released as part of 0.8.2 (so we don't need to keep
rolling patches of it).

Jason