Actually, we do give you an error if an invalid topic is created through
CLI. When we add a create topic api, we can return the correct error code
too.

bin/kafka-topics.sh --zookeeper localhost:2181 --create --topic="te+dd"
--partitions 1 --replication-factor 1

Error while executing topic command topic name te+dd is illegal, contains a
character other than ASCII alphanumerics, '.', '_' and '-'

kafka.common.InvalidTopicException: topic name te+dd is illegal, contains a
character other than ASCII alphanumerics, '.', '_' and '-'

Thanks,

Jun