The serializer is an expected use of the producer/consumer now and think we
should continue that support in the new client. As far as breaking the API
it is why we released the 0.8.2-beta to help get through just these type of
blocking issues in a way that the community at large could be involved in
easier with a build/binaries to download and use from maven also.

+1 on the change now prior to the 0.8.2 release.

- Joe Stein