Indeed my message size varies b/w ~500kb to ~5mb per avro.

I am using kafka as a I need a scalable pub-sub messaging architecture with
multiple produces and consumers and guaranty of delivery.
Keeping data on filesystem or hdfs won't give me that.

Also In the link below [1] there is a linkedin's performance benchmark of
kafka wrt message size which shows that Kafka's throughput increases with
messages of size ~100kb+.

Agreed for kafka a record is key+value, I'm wondering if kafka can give us
a way to sneak peek a records metadata via its key.

[1]
https://engineering.linkedin.com/kafka/benchmarking-apache-kafka-2-million-writes-second-three-cheap-machines