Hm.  My understanding was that both are aimed at basically the same thing -
Kafka on YARN.  From Samza site:
"Apache Samza is a distributed stream processing framework. It uses Apache
Kafka <http://kafka.apache.org/> for messaging, and Apache Hadoop YARN
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/YARN.html>
provide fault tolerance, processor isolation, security, and resource
management."

And KOYA:
"KOYA is a YARN application that launches Kafka within YARN. It then
manages the resource negotiation with Resource Manager, and ensures that
Kafka operates in a YARN native way. For an external publisher or
subscriber, KOYA would not look any different than Kafka since the same
code is being run as a YARN application."

It looks like they were never mentioned together.... until now :)

Otis