I have enabled yammer's ConsoleReporter and I am getting all the metrics
(including per-topic metrics).

Yammer's MetricName object implements equals/hashcode methods using
mBeanName . We are constructing a unique mBeanName for each metric, So we
are not missing/overwriting any metrics.

Current confusion is due to  MetricName.name(). This will be same
(BytesInPerSec) for both broker level and topic level metrics. We need to
use MetricName.getMBeanName() to differentiate between broker level and
topic level metrics.

0.8.1  MBeanName:
"kafka.server":type="BrokerTopicMetrics",name="AllTopicsBytesInPerSec"
"kafka.server":type="BrokerTopicMetrics",name="MYTOPIC-BytesInPerSec"

0.8.2  MBeanName:
kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=BytesInPerSec
kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=BytesInPerSec,topic=MYTOPIC

ConsoleReporter's O/P:

  BytesInPerSec:  <- This is broker level
             count = 1521
         mean rate = 3.63 bytes/s